Just a reminder that the annual Fall Cleanup of our section of Hwy 612 is on September 17th, 2022. We'll be meeting at 10am at KP Lake Rd and 612. Refreshments will be provided, along with garbage bags and safety vests. It's a fun time and an opportunity to get to know your neighbors and the Board members!
Call to Order -The annual meeting was called to order by President Jon Buxton, with 28 members and guests in attendance before/during the potluck and subsequent meeting.
Introductions were made of the Board of Directors (Roll Call):
● Jon Buxton – President (810-845-0369; email@example.com )
● Gary McDonald- Vice President; firstname.lastname@example.org )
● Bonnie Doremire – Treasurer (989-225-7562; email@example.com )
● Becky Buxton – Secretary (810-845-9301; firstname.lastname@example.org )
New Members/Guests – A welcome was offered, and all present introduced themselves and identified their locations on the lake for attendees. Several guests attended with members.
Members Ill/In Distress – Members report that Bob Riley has passed.
Community Watch – No report.
Secretary Report – Meeting notes from July 2021 were read. No additions or corrections noted. Motion to accept Secretary Report as read by Cathy McDonald, seconded by Janet Dunning. Motion passed. 2022 Meeting notes will be e-mailed to members we have email addresses for.
Treasurer Report – Balance on hand as of June 30, 2021 $10,506.35
● Income Dues (2021-15 Owners) $550.00
(2022-6 Owners) $180.00
Total Income $730.37
Hartland Clarke-checks for new account $27.07
N. Watkins-Website Expenses $160.93
Total Expenses $188.00
● Balance on hand: as of June 30, 2022 $11,048.72
Lake Steward Report –Roger Fechner reported that the lake condition is consistently the same. Clarity at around 13 feet. Roger Popp reported that the Phragmites are eradicated. General environment and wildlife surrounding the lake remains generally healthy, an indicator of overall lake community health.
DNR CREEL Study: Final DNR Report will be available this fall or winter. In general the DNR indicates the fish ecosystem is well balanced. The notes and final report will be uploaded to our website.
Old Business –
● Road Clean Up Dates- September 17, 2022 Discussion regarding only one cleanup due to Spring Ticks
● 2023 Annual Meeting: July 8th, 2023 Noon at the Lovell’s Township Pavilion
● PayPal for Dues will be available currently using email@example.com as we explore other options. Use friends and family option.
● Internet Service discussed: Truestream with Great Lakes Energy. The infrastructure is in place, just not the drops and connections to customers. Several service options are available. The company indicated it will be a several year process, yet when contacted by a member the interest is high in our area and the company is running ahead of schedule in several locations around the state. Sign up as an interested party on their website. No obligation.
● Green Belt, Blight and Road Speed Limits: The Green Belt on KP Lake is 50 feet from the water’s edge, the township requires approval to clear areas within that 50 feet. If residents are concerned about blight, they are urged to contact the Township directly. The Association has no enforcement abilities regarding those. In addition, concerns regarding speed limits on the county maintained road were discussed. In general, if not posted, there was some discussion if we could erect signage.
● Garbage Can: Discussion ensured regarding the possibility of the DNR supplying and emptying a garbage can by the boat launch. Bonnie will inquire. Association will add the boat launch to the Road Clean up.
● Bylaws: Bylaws will be scanned and added to the Association Website.
Board Nominations – Ed Rosa nominated Jon Buxton-President, Gary McDonald - Vice President, Rebecca Buxton-Secretary, and Bonnie Doremire-Treasurer to serve another year. These motions were seconded by Kevin Kunkleman. Motion passed. The new Board is as follows:
o Jon Buxton – President
o Gary McDonald - Vice President
o Bonnie Doremire - Treasurer
o Becky Buxton – Secretary
Reminders: Fall Road Clean Up: September 17th, 2022 10am meet at KP Lake Rd and 612. There will be refreshments for helpers!
2023 Annual Meeting: July 8th, 2023 Noon at the Lovell’s Township Pavilion
Meeting Adjourned: Meeting was adjourned.
Respectfully Submitted, Rebecca Buxton - Secretary
Notes from July 7, 2022, phone call with Olen Gannon, Michigan DNR Fisheries technician
The Fisheries Division is conducting a study on our lake. Gill nets were placed around the lake in May to catch and assess the fish population. That was followed by electrofishing on the night of June 1. You can see a YouTube video of electrofishing on the AuSable on the DNR Northern Lake Huron channel. Note they used boats powered by gasoline motors for this work. They will be back in August to do a Profile Development Study. This involves testing the water chemistry, profiling the oxygen and temperature at various depths, and assessing the shoreline including number of docks, seawalls, trees in the lake, etc.
The results of the Study should be finalized this winter. The Michigan DNR is currently working on a new system to make such information readily available on their website. In the meantime, Olen Gannon was kind enough to share the following information with me via phone.
We hope you are all doing well!
We will gather Saturday July 9th, 2022 @ 12 PM. Location: Lovell's Township, Pavilion 8405 Twin Bridge Rd, Grayling, MI 49738
We will begin with a potluck and end with a brief business portion. If you have an item you wish to include on the agenda please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Our treasurer will be available to collect annual dues ($30.00) and make adjustments to your email and addresses if necessary. If you plan to mail a check for the 2022 KP Lake Area Property Owners Association dues please contact us at email@example.com for payment options.
As part of the MDOT Adopt a Highway program, our Association adopted County Rd 612 from KP Lake Road to Reader Trail to keep it beautiful. We will meet Saturday, May 14th, at 10 AM at the intersection of KP Lake Road and 612 for our Spring Road cleanup. Volunteers are welcome if you can make it. Also, spread the word to your neighbors if I have not included an email for them.
Coffee and treats will be available to entice you!!
We look forward to seeing you all.
FYI: Annual Association Meeting will be Saturday July 9th at the Lovell's Township Pavilion at Noon.
Becky and Jon Buxton
KP Lake Area Property Owners Association Annual Meeting: July 10th, 2021
Call to Order -The annual meeting was called to order by President Jon Buxton, with 20 members and guests in attendance before/during the potluck and subsequent meeting.
Introductions were made of the Board of Directors.
Members Ill/In Distress – Members report that Ginny Amburgey and Larry Tourangeau have passed.
Community Watch – No report.
Secretary Report – Meeting notes from July 2020 were read. No additions or corrections noted. Motion to accept Secretary Report as read by Gail Hunter, seconded by Noreen Montie. Motion passed. 2020 Meeting notes will be e-mailed to members we have email addresses for.
Treasurer Report –
Total Income $805.16
IRS 501c Application Fee $600.00
Fee for Cashier’s Check to IRS $6.00
Total Expenses $636.00
KP Lake Association Website –Per last year’s motion to create a website, Natalia Watkins is pursuing our Domain name ($12.00 fee) and working towards an official website.
Lake Steward Report –Roger Fechner reported that the lake condition is consistently the same, Clarity at around 13 feet. The height of the water is down about 2-3 inches from his last measurement. Pike remain in the lake and all are encouraged to remove from the lake if caught while fishing. General environment and wildlife surrounding the lake remains generally healthy, an indicator of overall lake community health.
Old Business – Communications from members will be available to all to read.
Reminders: Fall Road Clean Up: September 11th, 2021 10am meet at KP Lake Rd and 612. There will be refreshments for helpers!
Spring Road Clean Up: May 14th, 2022 10am Meet at KP Lake Rd and 612. Refreshments provided.
2021 Annual Meeting: July 9th, 2022 Noon at the Lovell’s Township Pavilion
Meeting Adjourned: Motion to adjourn by Noreen Montie, seconded by Gail Hunter. Motion passed.
Rebecca Buxton - Secretary
Up Coming Events
2022 Fall Cleanup - Hwy 612